The holidays are filled with opportunities to share the joy of the season with our family and friends. And when those gatherings take place around the table, there are bound to be plenty of sweet temptations. Our friendly family dentist at Southeastern Dental wants our patients to enjoy the holidays while making smart choices and keeping our oral health in mind. The holidays can be just as sweet while applying a dose of moderation!
Here are a few basic recommendations for enjoying a taste of the holidays that you won’t regret come January:
- Sweet next-to-nothings: It’s OK to sample the pies, cakes and cookies that dance before your eyes, but place a limit on your indulgence. If there’s fruit on the table, replacing or supplementing with this healthy alternative can cut into your sugar craving. Rinse your mouth with water afterward to give your teeth a quick wash.
- Hard lessons: Candy canes, other hard candies and caramels are a definite no-no. And why bother with the soda that’s sure to be flowing? It’s not worth packing on the calories and sugar you’re already sampling from the holiday table.
- Dinner vs. dessert: Have a healthy portion of main dishes like turkey and go for the fresh veggies; don’t skimp on food in favor of leaving room for dessert.
- Travel kit: If you’re on the road for the holidays, don’t forget to pack a travel-size toothbrush, toothpaste, floss and an interdental brush. This makes it easy to duck away from the festivities to give your teeth a thorough cleaning.
- Keep your routine: It’s easy to forget our normal routines around the holidays, and that can include oral hygiene. Stick to what works: brushing and flossing at least twice a day, spending about two minutes to clean each chewing surface.
Our entire staff at Southeastern Dental wishes you and your family a healthy and happy holiday season, and we look forward to seeing you in the new year!
By Southeastern Dental
January 2, 2023
A Greenville, SC Dentist winner of the Patients’ Choice Awards. Verified by Opencare.com